10 Steps to Creating Mental Toughness
What happens to us plays less of a role in our happiness and success than our responses.
To develop and maintain the MENTAL TOUGHNESS that success requires, it's crucial that you constantly monitor your thoughts and self-talk. Avoid the habits that lead to negativity and unhealthy behaviors.
Help keep yourself prepared for whatever comes your way tomorrow by practicing good habits to build Mental Toughness:
1. Perspective. Mental toughness lets you carry on when things seem to be going wrong. Learn to keep your failures in perspective without losing sight of what you need to accomplish long term.
2. Be Flexible. Change is truly the only constant. Flexibility and adaptability are the most important traits you can develop. Learn to “go with the flow.”
3. Detachment. You can get through setbacks, failures and disappointments and come out stronger and wiser. Remember that's it's not about you. Don't take things personally or waste time wondering “Why did this happen to me?” Focus on what you can control.
4. Resilience. Maintain resilience in the face of stress or pressures by developing your capacity to deal with stressful situations more effectively.
5. Preparation. Being ready for anything will put you ahead of the game. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."
6. Focus. Ask yourself this question: “What is my purpose right now?” Keep laser focus on what is happening in this very moment. Stay in the NOW.
7. Self-Worth. Screw what anyone else thinks about what you are doing. Do things because you choose to. Derive your worth from knowing you are being true to yourself.
8. Patience. Anything worthwhile takes hard work and endurance; everything is a work in progress. Some times you have to play the long game. Create short term goals that will move you toward the long term.
9. Control. Avoid giving away your power to others. You are in control of your actions and reactions. Manage the way you respond to what is happening to around you.
10. Remove Negativity. Instead of the normal idea of staying positive, you must look to remove the negative influences in your life. Don't allow anyone or anything to ruin the drive of what you're accomplishing.
Get out of your own way and let things happen. Creating Mental Toughness is an ongoing process that never stops. When Mental Toughness is supported by your Emotional Fortitude and Health Consciousness, you will be an unstoppable force to be reckoned with.
"Do Difficult Things Often."
Justin W Atherton
Peak Performance Consultant | Performance Strategist | Performance Coach | Speaker | Mentor | Confidence Coach | Leadership Coach | Mindset Coach | Executive Coach